Registration with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS)
The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) has taken over the registration of non-EU students from the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).
All non-EU/EEA students must register with INIS; this is done after completion of DBS registration and prior to the date stamped on your passport by the airport immigration official. From 8th September 2016 the steps to register are as follows (Students aged 17 or under refer to the following link for additional requirements: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/pages/study)
- Gather all supporting documentation.
In order to register, you must have the following:
- A current valid passport.
- A college letter stipulating the course and its duration (Confirmation of Offer Letter)
- Confirmation of Appointment email from INIS when you make a booking
- Evidence of private medical insurance with a minimum coverage of €25,000.00 for in-hospital treatment in an Irish Hospital.
- Old GNIB Card if Applicable
- GNIB Renewal Only: Confirmation of Offer Letter and Evidence of verifiable academic progress (progress to the next year of the course), e.g., Transcripts.
- Non Visa Requiring Students Only: Evidence of a finances to a minimum level of €3000.00 by way of one of the following:
- A statement from an Irish bank account showing sufficient funds
- A current foreign bank statement showing sufficient funds, not less than one month old, together with a past statement, for an account in the student’s name (as on passport)accompanied by a debit card in the same name and same bank account
- Documentary evidence that money is held in trust for a student by a financial services body regulated in Ireland by the Central Bank of Ireland
- A pre-paid credit or debit card(s) with a verification of the amount(s) in credit
- Visa required students
Visa required students who obtained a study visa to come to Ireland will no longer be obliged to present evidence of finance, on first registration, on the basis that the appropriate checks on finance have already been undertaken as part of the visa application process.
- Make an appointment on the INIS website.
- If you are renewing your immigration registration, make sure to select an appointment date that falls within the 2 week period before you GNIB card expires.
- You will receive a confirmation email which will also contain a link to a list of documents that you must bring.
- Attend your appointment at the Garda National Immigration Bureau, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2.
- Please arrive on time, no earlier than 10 minutes prior to the appointment time.
- Bring a copy of your appointment confirmation e-mail.
- Bring all supporting documents- please note, if all required documents are not produced your application will not be processed and you will have to rebook through the on-line appointment system.
- A credit/debit card is required to cover the registration fee of €300
- Your appointment will last approx. 60 minutes, as part of the process a photograph and fingerprints are taken.