Living in Ireland

Living In Ireland

Health Care

All non-EEA students are required to have private medical insurance when coming to and residing in Ireland for the purpose of study. The private medical insurance should provide cover for accident and/or disease and should cover the student for any period of hospitalisation. You can apply for private medical insurance here.

The policy provider and policies thereafter meet the insurance requirement for non-EEA students.

After your first year in Ireland, your eligibility for public health services depends on your country of origin, the duration of your stay in Ireland and your financial situation. With regard to hospitalisation for non-EU / non-EEA students, if you are undertaking a full time course of study for at least one year, you are classed as "ordinarily resident" in Ireland, and are therefore entitled to public patient facilities on the same basis as an EU / EEA national. With regard to public hospital services, costs can be as much as €550 per day. For more information on public healthcare entitlements, visit The Irish Healthcare Entitlement Website

What should I do if I become ill during my time as a student in Ireland?

If you become ill during your time in Ireland you must see a doctor, known as a General Practitioner (GP). GP’s are widely available in Ireland and their services can be obtained at most times of the day. They generally charge about €40 - €50 for a consultation.

For minor illnesses you can get free medical advice from a Pharmacist at any pharmacy or chemist.

Medical Assistance

If you require medical assistance during your time in DBS, the Aungier St Medical Clinic offers a discount to students carrying a valid Student card. If you require any further information regarding medical needs please contact Student Services.

Religious Services

The main religion in Ireland is Roman Catholic, but with the rise in immigration to Ireland a number of other religions have now established places of worship. We have listed contact details for a number of religions below:

Roman-Catholic Church

The Roman-Catholic Church is the predominant religion in Ireland, mass will usually be said in every community every Sunday. Contact the Catholic Communications Office for more information.

Other Christian Churches in Ireland

Church of Christ, Scientist at 01-6683695
Coptic Orthodox Church at 01-2866809
Elim Pentecostal Church at 01-6267200
Greek Orthodox Church at 01-6779020
Jehova's Witnesses - Watchtower House at 01-2810692
Romanian Orthodox Church at 087-6148140

There are also a large number of Adventist and Pentecostal ministries active, most of them amongst the African population in Ireland.

Islamic Communities

There are sizeable numbers of Asian and African muslims practicing in Ireland. There are two mosques in Dublin, in Dublin 8 and Dublin 14.


Jewish Community

Jewish in Ireland were never very numerous and their number has been declining steadily - but a fairly lively community can be found in Dublin. Contact the Jewish Representative Council of Ireland.

Bahá'í Faith

Bahá'í community for more information -again, immigration has led to a sizeable number of followers now living in Ireland.

Other Eastern Religions